Hello!

I've been having a problem with the Suggest Fieldtype and the folders it searches.

First off, here's the adorable structure of my _content folder:

_content/
   01-animals/
      puppies/
         2014-03-13-1123-daschund.md
         2014-02-29-1621-australian-cattle-dog.md
         fields.yaml
      kittens/
         2014-05-21-1234-callico.md
         2014-04-30-2345-longhair-snubnose.md
         fields.yaml
   02-pastries/
      sweet/
          cinnamon-roll.md
          sticky-bun.md
          rice-krispy-treat.md
      savory/
          bacon-wrap-yum.md
          quiche.md

Now let's say I've got a taxonomy called tags.

Further suppose that the tags taxonomy is in place in the fieldset that populates puppies/ and kittens/.

In the docs, I am not led to believe this would be a problem because there's the folder attribute.

So the code for the tags Suggest FT would look like this:

tags:
    type: suggest
    display: "Tags"
    max_items: 4
    placeholder: "Make sure you pick your tags!"
    allow_blank: false
    required: true
    taxonomy:
      folder: kittens
      type: tags
      create: true

All the tags in kittens/:

• awesome
  • cute
  • funny
  • fail

Now, the puppies/ entries each have only one tags value:

• adorable

The problem is that when I go into create a new kitten entry, and I click into the Suggest box, I see:

• adorable
  • awesome
  • cute
  • funny
  • fail

See the problem? It's pulling ALL tags values from both 01-animals/ folders. So I thought, ok, I'll just be more specific: folder: animals/kittens for kittens/, and folder: animals/puppies for puppies/.

No change whatsoever.

Then I tried to make a new puppy and saw all five tags there, too. So puppy tags are showing up in kittens, and vice versa.

Then I did a further test. I added tags: "yummy" to the front matter of cinnamon-roll.md.

When I go to create a kitten or puppy now....

• adorable
  • awesome
  • cute
  • funny
  • fail
  • yummy

O NOEZ. My clients will think I am encouraging the eating of adorable creatures. So the real problem seems to be the folder: ... is ignored, and it searches the entire _content folder for any .md file that has tags: ... in the Front Matter.

Lastly, it would seem that the {{ taxonomy:listing folder="kittens" type="tags" }} has the same behavior, as the output on the kittens page includes yummy.

When I started this post, I really thought the issue was with the Suggest FT, but it seems like it's with Taxonomies and Folders.

Is anybody else having an issue like this?

Answered by Jason Varga! Go to answer.