UPDATE: Changed this post from a question to a bug report, based on additional info. See below. (Not sure if this is the right way to do this; lemme know?)

Recent mini-drama:

Customer (on phone): "Can you make it so we can sign in with either upper or lower case user names?" Our members,...(blah, blah, blah).

Me: Uuuuh...

(* types rapidly *)

Me: Seems to me like it's already working. Have you tried it? I just signed in as "Hello" and "hello". Even "HeLLo" worked just fine.

Customer: I can't make it work.

Me: oh. Just a sec'...

(* types very rapidly *)

Me: I'm so sorry! It's working on my laptop, but not on the server. I'll have to dig into this and get back to you...

(* hangs up phone; wipes egg from face *)

Anyone?

Laptop: Mac OS X 10.10.1, GNU bash, version 3.2.53(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin14)

Server: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.13.0-34-generic x86_64)

When I tried it on my Mac, everything worked, but the {{ username }} variable retained the case of each letter exactly the way I typed it. Functional, yes; but looked kinda odd. Ideally, there's maybe some way to map all the variants of "hello", "HeLLo", etc. to just the canonical "Hello" (?). The customer in question has actual logins like "JDoe" for John Doe. (So far no issue with collisions, such as Jane Doe. It's a small member base.)

I'm aware Statamic has case-altering functions, and I am plinking away at the challenge... It's by definition problematic to test!

Any tips or advice? I've been known to waste much time barking up trees wherein there's neither raccoons nor possums, nor any leaf at all. So, TIA, much appreciated! :-)